Sunday, February 13, 2011

Writers at the Convent Festival 2011

Yesterday I volunteered at the Writers at the Convent festival. It's held at the Abbotsford Convent which has a very cool vibe. If you haven't been there before I highly recommend it, if you want a cruisy place to hang out on a nice sunny day. Check out this link.

So the festival takes place every February and it features some fantastic local talent. I was privileged enough to meet Kate Holden, author of In My Skin and most recently, The Romantic, who was there for two panel discussions. The first panel discussion was about personal stories and she talked about what it is like to write a memoir about being an ex-prostitute and heroin addict and then having your friends and relatives read it. The second discussion was around writing about sex. Both were riveting topics and right up my alley ;)

I felt a bit in awe of Kate. She had a very gracious presence, an almost cool exterior, until she smiled and then her face would warm into an almost childlike quality. I stood in the queue to get my book signed by her. I received it for Xmas and had already read it which was a bit naughty cos I hadn't bought it from the book shop like everyone else. The queue was taking ages. Maybe people were asking her about her favourite sexual position? I don't know but it was taking bloody forever. I was rehearsing things I could say to her. Like, I love your books - they are so brave! Or I'm a writer too, do you have any words of wisdom? But once I got to the top of the queue, I just said Hi Kate! really loudly and shoved the book in her face.

She signed it "To Lizz. All the best and hope you like it! Kate."

That made me feel even more dodgy! Oh well, it least it wasn't a library book I got her to sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment