Saturday, October 18, 2014

Bin Food Man Saves the Day!

I think I'm gonna start blogging more. I guess I've always thought that I need to be in a good mood or have something really pertinent to say to do a blog post, but maybe that's not true. I tend to get good feedback from people when I blog, so maybe I'll do it more often.

Today I'm in my writing space in Footscray. I come once a week to write my novel. It is pure heaven, regardless of the way I'm feeling. Part of what makes it so heavenly is that the office space is so inviting, so light and airy and very funky. The other part is my lunchtime jaunt through the heart of Footscray. It's like coming to another world that's only a 20 minute drive from where I live.

I was sitting in a cafe half an hour ago eating a steak sandwich as you do, when through the open window of the cafe, someone's barely touched, leftover burger was nibbled at. Now where I come from, normally when discarded food is nibbled at, it's by an opportunistic seagull. But no, this was just a dude passing by who said to the waiter as he was clearing the plate, "I'll eat that, what a waste!" and proceeded to shove the burger into his mouth.

Wow. Speechless. But somehow I felt I wanted to pat this man on the back. Yes, that quarter-eaten burger was a waste and now you have filled your stomach and won't need to buy lunch. You've also helped reduce landfill. I think we may have a new contender for Australian of the Year!

And in case you're wondering, he wasn't homeless. Well at least he didn't look homeless. His clothes were clean and he was well put together. Maybe a little eccentric but definitely not someone you'd expect to see foraging for bin food.

Although, I guess if I was Laurina from The Bachelor, I wouldn't be impressed. In fact I wouldn't be eating there in the first place - not in a cafe that sells dirty street burgers...

No comments:

Post a Comment