Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sober As A Judge

Happy New Year everybody!

I love this time of year. I love making New Year resolutions and all the promise of potential that the New Year holds. And going into 2014 is particularly exciting for me as I embark on a new chapter with my amazing man.

And I have finalised my contract with alcohol, deciding to give it up entirely. Although it's hard to comprehend NEVER drinking again, I think it's the only way to keep my sanity intact.

Recent festivities have reminded me of why I decided to stop drinking in the first place. The two main reasons are:

1 - I'm a bit of a douchebag when I drink
2 - My anxiety skyrockets in the days following drinking

I probably didn't emphasise the second point enough in previous posts but alcohol relaxes me in the short-term and then increases my anxiety following a drinking session. And the amount I drink doesn't really matter because I can't avoid feeling anxious by limiting my consumption. For example, I can have a couple of drinks and feel shit for two or three days, or drink a truckload and be anxious for the next seven days.

So I decided a few weeks ago to stop drinking again and I have just experienced my first sober Christmas and New Year's Eve since I was a teenager. And on the whole, it was no big deal. Christmas was a bit hard because let's face it, Christmas is a stressful occasion. Family dynamics, emotions and lots of red wine consumed by your loved ones, can make things a bit tense. And when you can't have a drink yourself to take the edge off, its hard to relax and enjoy the day. But I resisted the urge to drink.

And last night was New Year's Eve. Which was a lot easier than Christmas Day. My boyfriend and I spent the night at my sister and bro-in-law's place. It was a very tame night. We had a BBQ and managed to keep awake till midnight to watch the crappy ABC countdown. My sister (who is also a non-drinker) and I got stuck into a variety of non-alcoholic beverages including soda water with lime, blood orange mineral water and bitter lemonade. Scrumptious!

So now I'm proud to say that I'll be sailing into the New Year as a confident sobertarian. Awake, aware, switched on and still up for a good time... if the company is right.


No comments:

Post a Comment